Indeed it’s overwhelming when your dream to move to the UK with your spouse comes true. The spouse visa is perfect for those who are applying to move to the UK, are married to a UK citizen and who possess Indefinite Leave to Remain or a UK refugee.
Once granted you have the right to live in the UK for up to 30 months.
You can further extend your visa and eventually apply for British citizenship.
Eligible to apply Spouse visa?
Before you begin your application, check your eligibility criteria as per the following:
- Both you and your partner is adobe 18 years of age
- You are married or in a civil partnership that is lawfully recognised by the UK
- You are married to a British citizen or UK settled person or a UK refugee
- You can furnish a documentary proof to confirm that you and your partner have been living together in a relationship for the last 2 years before beginning with the application.
- You are engaged with your partner, or you hold a UK Fiance(e) Visa
- You intend to get married with your partner within 6 month of getting your visa
- British citizens may be able to send the leave to remain forms on the behalf of their partner. They must also check the eligibility before proceeding.
Prove your relationship to be genuine and subsisting
An important criteria that the UK visa and immigration office checks is whether the spouse visa applicant is able to prove they are in a genuine relationship, for example, a civil partnership, with their British citizen partner. There are many different types of proves that you can send to the UK visa and immigration( Home Office) such as:
- Travel tickets or documents that can demonstrate that you both visited each other before getting married.
- Photographs with family that can show that you have spent time together more frequently
- A joint bank account or savings
- Proof of any children you have together, such as their birth certificate
- A prove to show that you both have a strong intention to live in the UK together
- Exchange of personal messages or social media chat logs or history
- A mortgage or tenancy agreement, where the property is owned by both either in the UK or outside the UK
What are the financial requirements for gaining a spouse visa?
Your UK partner who has citizenship or Indefinite leave to remain is your sponsor.
And both of you must fulfil the financial requirements laid down by the UK visa and immigration office
You should be able to furnish evidence to prove that you and your partner fulfil the financial requirement and have enough money to support yourselves without accessing the public funds and being dependent on the state.
Your partner must show an income of at least £18,600 per year without the dependent children.
If you have one child(dependent), you will need an additional income of £22,400 to meet the financial requirement. For any other children, the sponsor will need an extra £2,400 for each child thereafter.
What are the requirements for English language
Fulfilling the requirements of the English Language is another important aspect checked by the visa and immigration office.
Your partner needs to demonstrate English Language proficiency in listening, understanding and communicating in English to the level of A1 as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages(CEFR).
If your sponsor changes the job: does it affect the visa
No, even if your sponsor who is your UK partner loses his/her job it won’t affect your spouse visa application as long as you both meet the financial requirements set forth in the Appendix FM by the date of the application.
In such cases you must also seek legal advice. A Y & J Solicitors have industry experience of 10 years, their bespoke advice has benefitted over 4000 clients.
If you have more law blog than you can approach here for write for us