Thanks through years of technological advances, closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras have increasingly become in demand in today’s market. Indeed, almost everyone has taken advantage of such systems.
Many UK homeowners, for one, understand that installing CCTV cameras would ensure the security of their houses and other investments and the safety of their loved ones, mainly functioning as a deterrent against potential home invaders.
Also, many businesses have been using cameras as a way to monitor customer activity, which is helpful in preventing shoplifters from pushing through with their plans to steal items undetected, thus avoiding business losses.
Given that such systems are used for surveillance purposes, it is unsurprising that they can also be found inside the workplace.
In a typical office space, for instance, CCTV cameras are installed as a way for the bosses to monitor employee activity.
However, it is common for some workers to create this notion that these systems tend to intrude their privacy. They could also think that they can’t be trusted, which could become a workplace issue moving forward.
Thus, it is important for employers to explain to them the purpose/s of CCTV cameras in the workplace so as to prevent any problems between both parties.
If you own a company that mainly provides services for Making Tax Digital for VAT or any other related services, making sure that the workplace is safe and secure is important.
Here are the benefits of having cameras in your workplace:
- They prevent incidents of theft inside the workplace. Regardless of the size of the workplace, there is still a big possibility of theft happening. With CCTV cameras installed, potential robbers would be thinking twice of going through with their actions. If they succeed in doing so, however, the CCTV’s captured footage during the time of the heist can be used to determine their identities. Indeed, the video footage would serve as proof of their wrongdoing in the event authorities are able to apprehend them.
- They help ensure the safety of employees. Some workplaces can be witnesses to incidents of assault or any other form of violence. This is what CCTV cameras are for; to monitor behavior among co-workers, as well as interactions between employees and their customers or clients. This is extremely important for companies that provide Making Tax Digital for VAT services. Indeed, they capture footage of altercations between an employee and a customer, which could be evidence during police investigations.
- They reduce incidents of discrimination and/or harassment. It is not surprising that discrimination and/or harassment occurs in the workplace. With any reliable security camera systems, such incidents are prevented. However, if they happen, affected workers can easily turn to the systems’ captured footages and use it as evidence when they pursue their claims against the ones responsible for the discrimination and/or harassment.
- They help employees retrace their steps whenever they misplace their valuables. Many workers may be that organized with their things in their respective workstations, but there are still instances where they lose or misplace their valuables. Employees, therefore, can rely on CCTV footages to see where they lost their things. Most of the captured footages can be rewound to a certain time of the workday. They can likewise check other locations where they could have possibly lost their valuables.
- They help prevent accidents. Even workplaces can be witnesses to accidents. In such events, inspectors manning the CCTV monitors can immediately send out people to respond to the scene and deal with the injured individuals. Together with the captured footage of the incident, employers can assist the injured workers, especially with their workers’ compensation claims.
Given all the things mentioned above, it can truly be said that CCTV cameras bring more benefits than disadvantages.
Those overseeing the workplace operations only have to place these systems in strategic places so as to prevent employee resentment.
More importantly, properly explaining the purpose of these cameras to the workers should help in enhancing work productivity, which would help ensure an efficient and safer workplace for everyone.